Thursday, February 10, 2005

Pollution, like Greed, is Good!

Global warming! Global Warming! Global Warming! Three cheers for global warming. Turns out that in the absence of human activity, we'd be in the midst of a catastrophic ice age. I think special thanks are particularly due to multinational companies, especially the oil-related ones, who have done their best to draw every bit of fossil fuel from the deep recesses of what would otherwise be the frozen tundra of the Middle East and other areas so that we could burn, burn, burn. And let's not forget those companies in the business of making it easier for them- you know who you are Halliburton - thanks for keeping us warm! A couple of no-bid government contracts for you guys is the least we could do. I feel comparatively ashamed given my paltry contribution, but I recently upgraded to a new Chevy Suburban to right my past of pitifully low pollution-creating activity. What are you doing to keep us from living in igloos? Have you left the lights running when you left the home today? Did you take the long way to work? Do you commute great distances alone in a SUV? We all have to do our part, and every little bit counts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Victor Matheson said...

How like a Republican! Accept scientific evidence that makes you look good even if it completely contradicts what you have stated before.

Hatch has frequently posted items claiming that global warming is not occurring and, if it is, it is not a result of human activity. In any case, Hatch says, none of the science should be believed because none of the scientists are smart enough to really know what is going to happen.

Now that some scientist hypothesizes that global warming might have actually done some good, he accepts without question the fact that temperatures are 2 degrees higher than would otherwise happened solely as a result of human intervention.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Hatcher said...

OK, there may be an inconsistency, that I will admit! But at the expense of a couple of attempts at humor, I think it can be excused. So I'll stick to one of two stories: either global warming is not occurring or it is occurring and to our benefit. Both positions have some scientific support, as perhaps does the veiw that it is occurring and it is bad. So I have two out of three possibilities that enure to my political predelictions, whereas Professor Vic is batting only 0.333 (enough to get you into the Hall of Fame if you are a steroid-loving baseball player, but not enough for scientific certainty). Ergo, I win. My meta-analysis leads to that airtight conclusion.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com